Nuffnang Ads

Monday, 4 June 2007

Mammogram

My sister broke the news to me that my mother experienced breast pain for the past few weeks without letting us know. My auntie informed us..... So, my sister and I started the planning for her to come over to SG to have the check up, mammogram screening and some other detail screening, if necessary..

Mammogram, a new word for me last week.. What is mammogram?? what is that??? Here, to share this general knowledge to all of you.
__________________________

Mammogram

What is a mammogram?
A mammogram is a special diagnostic x-ray procedure of the breasts and is very helpful in detecting breast cancer.

Why does a women need to undergo a mammogram?

Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among women in Singapore constituting more than 20% of all cancers. Thus, a mammogram should be performed yearly, as an abnormality can develop any time.

When do I need to go for mammogram?
According to the American Cancer Society, any woman between 40 - 49 years old should have a mammogram done every 1 - 2 years. As for women over 50 years old, mammogram should be done on a yearly basis.

What do I need to prepare before mammogram?
No preparation or fasting is required and you can have it done any time. But do not use power or deodorant on your breasts or armpits on the day of examination, as it will affect the x-ray image. It will be more convenient to wear a blouse rather than a dress, as you will be asked to undress from waist up.

How long is the examination?
It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to perform the examination.

Do mammograms hurt?
A mammogram should not "really hurt." It may cause discomfort, but not out-and-out pain. Mammograms may be uncomfortable because it is necessary to spread the breast tissue out as evenly as possible to obtain a good image. This requires that the breast be sandwiched between two pieces of Plexiglass-like material on the machine. This probably does not feel very good, but the radiographer doing the mammogram should never compress the breasts to the point that it is painful. If it does truly hurt, then you should tell the radiographer so she can reposition the breast.

For more information about breast cancer, pls refer to:


_______________________________

Dont believe that mammogram is not hurt.. It HURTS!!!!!! My auntie and some of my relatives underwent the test and all of them said it hurts!!!!!
Finally persuaded my mum to have the check up before making appointment for mammogram..

I've prayed for her, asking my grandparents and gods to bless her.. hopefully she is ok. Mum, take care... I love you...

No comments: